TAXATION OF NON-RESIDENTS’ PROPERTY CAPITAL GAINS: NEW CLARIFICATIONS SINCE THE SOCIAL SECURITY FINANCING ACT FOR 2019

[:en] The taxation of capital gains on real estate has undergone numerous changes since 2015. Following an important legal dispute (Aff. C-623/13, CJEU 26 February 2015, Gérard de Ruyter; CJEU judgment of 14 March 2019, C-372-18, Mr. and Mrs. Raymond Dreyer and EC judgment of 16 April 2019, n°423586), social security contributions (CSG / CRDS) no longer apply to capital gains on real estate of Community, EEA and Swiss residents as soon as they are not affiliated to a French compulsory social security scheme. Beware, however, the solidarity levy is maintained! Until 2018, only case law recognized such an exemption. Thus, taxpayers first had to pay all social security contributions (17.2%) on their real estate capital gains and then file a claim with the tax authorities to be reimbursed for the CSG and the CRDS. From now on, and in order to avoid major litigation with the tax authorities, Article 26 of the Social Security Financing Law for 2019 has expressly included this exemption in the legislation. As a matter of fact, the law amends Article L136-6 of the Social Security Code, which provides that “By way of derogation from I and I bis, persons who, pursuant to the provisions of Regulation (EC) No 883/2004 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 29 April 2004 on the coordination of social security systems, are subject to legislation on health insurance that is subject to those provisions and who are not covered by a compulsory French social security scheme shall not be liable to pay the contribution“.  It should nevertheless be noted that the solidarity levy, which is still due, has been increased by 5.5%, from 2% to 7.5% (Article 235 ter CGI). In conclusion, for sales taking place as from 1 January 2019, capital gains on real estate are taxed for Community residents at 17% (IR) and at the rate of 7.5% (PS), i.e. a total of 24.5% (instead of 34.2%). [:fr]

L’imposition des Plus-values immobilières a connu depuis 2015 de nombreuses évolutions. Suite à un contentieux juridique important (Aff. C-623/13, CJUE 26 février 2015, Gérard de Ruyter ; arrêt CJUE du 14 mars 2019, C-372-18, M. et Mme Raymond Dreyer et arrêt du CE du 16 avril 2019, n°423586), les prélèvements sociaux (CSG / CRDS) ne s’appliquent plus aux plus-values immobilières des résidents communautaires, EEE et Suisse dès lors que ces derniers ne sont pas affiliés à un régime de sécurité sociale obligatoire français. 

Attention néanmoins, le prélèvement de solidarité est maintenu ! 

Jusqu’en 2018, seule la jurisprudence reconnaissait une telle exonération. Ainsi, les contribuables devaient d’abord payer la totalité des prélèvements sociaux (17,2%) sur leurs plus-values immobilières et faire par la suite une réclamation auprès de l’Administration fiscale pour se faire rembourser la CSG et la CRDS. 

Désormais, et pour pallier au contentieux important auprès de l’Administration fiscale, l’article 26 de la Loi de Financement de la sécurité sociale pour 2019 a inscrit expressément dans la législation cette exonération. 

En effet, la loi vient modifier l’article L136-6 du Code de la sécurité sociale qui dispose que “Par dérogation aux I et I bis, ne sont pas redevables de la contribution les personnes qui, par application des dispositions du règlement (CE) n° 883/2004 du Parlement européen et du Conseil du 29 avril 2004 sur la coordination des systèmes de sécurité sociale, relèvent en matière d’assurance maladie d’une législation soumise à ces dispositions et qui ne sont pas à la charge d’un régime obligatoire de sécurité sociale français”.  

Il convient néanmoins de noter que le prélèvement de solidarité, qui reste dû, a été augmenté de 5,5%, passant par conséquent de 2% à 7,5% (article 235 ter CGI).

En conclusion, pour les ventes intervenant à compter du 1er janvier 2019, les plus-values immobilières sont taxées pour les résidents communautaires à hauteur de 17% (IR) et au taux de 7,5% (PS) soit un total de 24,5% (à la place de 34,2%).

[:]

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

SUBSCRIBE TO THE NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE ALL JURISGLOBAL NEWS.

Menu

RESEARCH BY CATEGORY

Beirut office

Telephone

Tel : xx xx xx xx xx
Fax : xx xx xx xx xx

Address

xx xx xx xx xx
xx xx xx xx xx

Email

Email : xx xx xx xx xx

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit.

Vivamus condimentum dignissim lacinia. Duis volutpat urna nec pretium dapibus.

Maecenas laoreet, elit in venenatis aliquam, nisi nunc suscipit purus, eu porttitor nisi dolor sit amet enim.

Ut semper maximus elit nec sodales. Nulla facilisi.